What are the next steps?
The steps which a solicitor has to take in bringing a clinical negligence case to trial are the following. But also in accordance with the Clinical Negligence protocol.
- The first step is for us to obtain the complete medical records, which are relevant to your case from the relevant health authorities and from your GP.
- The next step is to instruct an independent medical consultant to examine your medical records and your statements. They will advise whether your care was negligent, if so how and whether you suffered injury as a result. It is very important to select the right person to carry out this task.
- Once we have the expert or experts’ report the next stage will be to involve a Barrister who will prepare an opinion on the chances of success in your case.
- If we agree to issue proceedings then we will do it either by issuing in the High Court or by issuing a County Court depending on the likely value of the claim.
- After arguments have been made the court will issue a timetable for next steps up to the trial date.